Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 2: Dinner & A Movie

...but not in the traditional sense. ;) Dinner is simmering away in the Crock Pot right now -- Round Steak with Garden Vegetables. I am going to see Harry Potter with a friend at midnight tonight, and I'm trying my best to plan ahead so I can hopefully resist the call of popcorn. I will buy my drink at the theatre, but in the interest of my healthy eating plan and to conserve the rest of our grocery money, I will take my own snack.

I had another tuna sandwich for lunch, with some sweet potato chips. It was very filling and healthy, and I'm hoping to not be jonesing too bad for a snack when I do a little shopping this afternoon.

Without further adieu, here is the recipe for dinner:

Round Steak with Garden Vegetables
from Better Homes & Gardens Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker cookbook

Prices are included in parentheses; items from stockpile denoted with a *.

1.33 lbs boneless beef round steaks ($4.58)
salt & pepper to taste*
2 cups baby carrots ($0.70)
1 large onion, cut into wedges*
4 oz can mushrooms, drained ($0.55)
15 oz can diced tomatoes (no salt added) w/ basil, garlic & oregano*
3 tbsp tomato paste*
1 tsp Italian seasoning*
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce*
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced ($0.63)

Cut steaks into 4 serving size pieces, season with salt and pepper, and place in bottom of slow cooker. Add carrots, onion, and drained mushrooms on top of steaks. In a medium bowl, combine diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour tomato mixture over vegetables in slow cooker. Cook on low 8-9 hours or high for about 4 hours. Add zucchini for last 30 minutes of cooking time.

$$ Spent Today: $2.07
$$ Remaining: $16.29

No comments:

Post a Comment